Sunday, August 28, 2016

Hummingbirds and the Oncoming Storm


The first week of school has gone and I am no less concerned about what my last year is going to bring. I have confidence that I will make it, but I am nervous. I will say though, that I am a little less nervous than I was last week. My English teacher read a part of my assignment from last week aloud in his lecture, and that felt pretty darn cool.

This assignment was a special to me because one of the readings this week was about hummingbirds. The other reading was about the 1900 hurricane that happened in Galveston. They were both very powerful reads for me and I am happy that I got the chance to read them.

<3 Catherine *Riki


Creative Nonfiction Literature
Questions:I want you to speak to the power of language in these pieces. How it serves the story, how it conveys the drama and meanings the writers are intending. I also want you to comment on how Erik Larson, in Isaac’s Storm, can have you on the edge of your seat about an event that has already taken place. Provide examples for your answers to both questions.


I grew up on a Mono Indian reservation in California. The name I was given was Pis-coo-too, which means Hummingbird. I have always been proud to be named after the hummingbird, their beautiful red and green feathers shined at the feeders that hung along the back porch gutter at my grandparents home. Hummingbirds are a quiet storm, constantly beating their wings with a ferocious determination that I hope to emulate in my own life. I like to think of hummingbirds as tiny self-contained storms, so the similarities between the readings were easy to draw for myself. The fear that Isaac felt at the storm drawing near, the fear that hummingbird feels at their storm coming to an end. The inability to sleep for fear that the storm will consume him, and the inability to sleep for fear that the storm will not begin again. In regards to keeping me enthralled; I felt compelled to continue reading both stories. Ackerman writes of a daily phenomenon and Larson writes of a century old hurricane, in a way that feels new and exciting. Both writers show that it doesn’t matter if something has happened over a hundred years ago or yesterday, a writer’s ability is separate from time not contingent upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment