Thursday, September 17, 2015

Reading Response the Fourth One

This week has been pretty hectic so far and there is always so much more to do. I shortened my response this week simply due to exhaustion.

Reading Response 4: Style

Esperanza Rising 
by Pam Muñoz Ryan
From the very beginning there was something special about Esperanza Rising. Ryan does a great job of pulling the reader in with her style. One of the first things I noticed was the chapter titles. Each chapter notes the type of produce that is in season and thus the passage of time. In this way the reader is made to feel closer to the characters, there are no months just planting and harvesting seasons. I found it to be very clever. Another thing I noticed was the use of Spanish words and phrases sprinkled into the book. These words and phrases usually alongside their English translation showed the reader something new and helped to build stronger relationships between the reader and the characters in the book.

The Lonely Book 
written by Kate Bernheimer and illustrated by Chris Sheban
The writer anthropomorphizes the protagonist book which results in the reader being able to feel empathy for what is usually thought of as an unfeeling object. Through use of her style she gives an inanimate object character and emotion. The book begins like a fairy tale, which immediately grabs the reader’s attention. I actually scooted forward in my chair and leaned in while reading this. Any story that starts with, “Once….” catches me hook, line and sinker. The artist’s style complemented the writing in every way. The artist choose to depict the book as a normal book, not attributing any of the anthropomorphic characteristics that the author shared.

The Serpent Came to Gloucester 
written by M.T.Anderson illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
This tale is truly brought to life by Anderson. The book is written as a long poem with breaks of short, repetitive lists written in italics. Though I sometimes find lists and repetitive word usage to be annoying, in this book it just seemed so natural. Anderson wrote this poem as if someone was reciting it from memory. The artist work also drew me in with their realistic depictions of the fantastic things. Sea serpents and pirates became as real to me as the voice I heard while reading this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment