Wednesday, March 24, 2010

He's Dead, Jim.

My truck, or at least what's left of it.

My original plan was to update this weekly. Apparently, I'm very bad at following any sort of schedule. These past couple months since my last update have been a bit of a ride. Since then, I have joined a game of Serenity with some people that I met a a bar in downtown Fresburg. We've made our characters and played a couple times but, the game hasn't really gone anywhere in the two months it's start. A couple people have left the group so, I'm fairly sure the game's not gonna go much further if anywhere at all. It has been fun hanging out. We meet most Saturdays and play other games or just sit around talking. It's nice having a group of friends I can go hang out with in town.

Family drama is seemingly unending as are our get-togethers. There are simply too many birthdays. I am getting used to the drama and I think it's a good thing though I'm not sure complacency is exactly the proper route. I am relearning topics to avoid. (politics, religion, science...)Sometimes it's more than a little frustrating to keep my mouth shut and sometimes, I just can't, like when I referred to god as my brothers imaginary friend. That probably wasn't the wisest thing. I've moved in with my sister Tippy. It's kind of amazing the crazy things she does. My 15 year old niece, Stephanie, has moved in with my parents so, we basically just traded places. It's good for her to get the structure she needs from my parents that she can't get from her mom. Meanwhile, my sister is driving my crazy to the point where I actually had to go somewhere else to write because I can't think when she's around. It's okay though cause I'm moving to Houston in two months, woo! I am super excited for my move and the chance to start again in a new place.

Moving on, I have been babysitting a lot. Most Thursdays I have my sister, Lorna's, girls; Alexis, Ashleigh and Alizabeth.They are great kids and I always have a good time with them. In January I babysat Tippy's younger two kids on whatever days she felt she needed a break. This was during the time when she was on a leave of absence from work. Anyway, it seemed to be most of the time that month but, I was getting paid so nothing really to complain about. I do actually like spending time with the kids when she's not around. When she is around however, the kids aren't so fun. Currently I don't watch them all that often, not since the accident anyway but, I'll get to that in a bit.

For a while I was spending a lot of time in town, mostly job hunting with no luck, though I did spend most of my time at one of the two comic shops in town. Any time spend outside of the house was and is welcome though. I did finally acquire a cell phone at the end of January as well as a truck. I totaled the truck but, the cell phone is fine.

On February 8th I got in a car accident and totaled my truck that I had for no more than 3 weeks in the three mile drive from my parents house to my sister house with her two younger kids, Brittney (10) and King (6) in the back seat. As I was coming down the road I took a turn too wide and one of my tires got caught in loose gravel. I lost control and ended up almost completely upside down in a ditch. Now both kids were buckled up in the back and King was in his booster seat. When I unbuckled myself I fell of course. Luckily, I had my cell phone in my coat pocket and got a hold of 911. I learned that it's really very hard to dial 911 on a touch screen phone when there's blood on it. (I had split open my finger, nothing serious.) After accidentally clicking onto Twitter a few times, I got the the phone function and called 911. While on the phone with them I crawled into the back seat and saw that my niece was up against the door so I unbuckled her. Unfortunately her seat belt got stuck but, I was able to get to my leatherman (which I lost) and cut though the belt. I couldn't unbuckle King because I wasn't strong enough to be able to catch him. About this time someone knocks on the glass. Some people had pulled over to help. I was still able to roll down my window and it was an old friend from high school. He made me get out of the truck first and then he climbed in, got Brittney out then, climbed back in and got King out. Soon after the fire dept. and paramedics showed up and we were safely taken to the hospital.

I honestly thought Tippy was going to be mad at me forever but, she wasn't. Once she realized that her kids were fine, Brittney got a cut above her eye and King didn't have one scratch (he actually said he felt like a bat while he was upside down locked in his chair) and she saw that I was the only one really injured... she put it behind her. I didn't end up too bad. My backs still pretty messed up, I broke a finger and I had a bunch of bruises and a nice knot on my shin where it hit something, I don't remember what. But, we were out of the hospital around 5am the next morning and I tweeted during the whole thing, starting in the ambulance ride.

So, that's pretty much what's been happening in these months of silence. I know it's a long blog but, I had quite a bit to cover. I promise the next one won't be as long. It feels good to finally have this up. Now, I can go to bed... well, maybe after an episode of Stargate.


No comments:

Post a Comment